A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Tomatoes Galore!




The garden season is coming to an end, and I have to admit it comes as a bit of relief! Everything did AMAZING this year...we had vegetables coming out our ears! This is one bowl of at least 8 full bowls of tomatoes that came out of our garden this year. We had so many we were giving bags and bags away just trying to keep up with the next batch that were ready to pick.

We ate lots of salsa and yummy spaghetti sauces this year! This possible last batch of 3 bowl fulls is becoming sundried tomatoes...we did a batch of these about a month ago and had them on EVERYTHING. OH MY GOODNESS, it was sooooooo good! Sundried tomatoes make even the most plain sandwhich taste amazing!

Living here in the Seattle area, we don't actually get to 'sundry' the tomatoes. The sun seems have decided that summer is now over and it's fall now. It hasn't stopped raining in days. Great news though, you can still make sundried tomatoes. We have our oven loaded right now, set at 175 degrees and these little guys will be in there at least 24 hours. Probably more though since the oven is so full with them. The shocking part of this is, it may look like a lot of tomatoes, but once they are done, they will probably all fit in one large mason jar and be eaten in about a week! Even so, it is soooooooo worth it for that sundried yumminess! :)

In addition to all this tomatoe yumminess, I am so excited to say that I FINALLY GOT INTO RAVELRY! WoooooHooooo! Lots of people have linked to me to add to friends like (THANK YOU) but I am still figuring out what to do with that feature. I found the Lucky Lurker Group with lots of people working on their first installment of lucky lurker (I am a member now and getting the hang of posting in there). I also found two doggy knitting groups that I had to join :) I am a sucker for anything animal related!!! :) Come find me in Ravelry, I'd love to hear from you!!!!

5 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger emicat said...

As a recipient to a couple of bags of those tomatoes, I gotta admit they were damn tasty - thanks again for sharing them with me :)

I'm so glad you got into Ravelry. I've yet to post anything, but enjoying looking around to see what everyone's knitting.

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Macoco said...

Oooh those tomatoes look so yummy.

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, this is what I have to do with the next tomatoes from the garden. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before. I wonder if I can do it with the thousands of cherry tomatoes currently going to waste? I'm going to fire up the dehydrator and find out. I bet I should halve them first? I posted an apple butter recipe in my last post. Funny how crafty people are also foody people. I love it when I find a recipe on a knitting blog! So excited for you and the new workspace!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Anna said...

There are 10,000 people ahead of me for Ravelry... I can't wait to get in!!!!

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger sherriknits said...

This reminds me of when I lived in Oregon and canned tons of tomatoes...there is no comparison to home canned! Never tried the sun-dried but I can only imagine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home