A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Green Thumb

Just about 2 years ago Ken and I bought this house. A few months later, not ever having been able to keep a plant alive in my entire life, I decided that I wanted a cottage garden in the front yard. So we ripped out the lawn and I started with a blank canvas of dirt. Admittedly, to a first time gardener, this was far more than intimidating! You wouldn't believe how hard it is to decide where to plant something in a completely bare yard!!!! Well, last summer I made progress on the lay out and put in the cobble stone paths, a little branch fence, brick edging and a planter box. I also put a tree here and there and daisies where ever I could. That may not sound like much, but that filled the entire summer. Now with the basic lay out done, every Sunday I pull myself way from the batches of yarn and do a little more to the front yard. Every day that I look at it I am SHOCKED that I did it. With absolutely no gardening experience whatsoever (except killing several house plants) I did this!

There is lots more to be done, there are still lots of bare spots to be filled and daisies to be planted, but I am so happy with how it is turning out!!!

10 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

What a pretty garden, but really, shouldn't you be dying more yarn? hehehe :)

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Macoco said...

What a huge difference! Your yard looks great.

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger CaveGurl said...

Wow! You guys did a great job! Looks great and can't wait to see more pictures of it soon.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Smurf said...

Looks fantastic! Such a huge makeover, it makes a big difference to the look of the house ... much more personal. Congratulations!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Mia said...

Pretty garden!! Do you have any lavender plants int here? A cottage garden needs lavender and hollyhocks. And you can always tuck in some dye plants.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger miss bennett said...

Congratulations on the cottage garden! It looks great. I've always wanted a cottage garden too and I'm a plant killer as well so I'm glad to know it can be done!

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job.. you deserve a wonderful pat on the back! I love gardening too but to keep most house plants alive? Nuh-uh. I blame it on too much shade around the house. Smirk.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger debbie said...

that's fantastic! it actually makes your front yard look bigger!

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Your yard looks amazing!

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angi! Looks FABULOUS! Wow! Lots of work since I've seen it even!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home