A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Another step closer to green

As time to goes on, I continue to find new ways to live a 'greener' life. Reducing waste, reusing things that can be reused for different functions, and so on.
The next step on the list were reuseable sandwhich bags!
I got coordinating fabrics and nylon for the lining. I made an 8"x8" pattern for the front and a 8"x8" with flap pattern for the back. I grabbed my handy dandy rotary cutter and cut out all the pieces in no time flat.
Then I stacked the pieces together and stitched them up. Each lined with the nylon for moister resistance for even the juiciest sandwhiches or tomatoes waiting for their future salad.
After I got them seamed and topstitched, I used heat set velco for the closure.
These are totally washable and can be used for anything we would normally put in a plastic baggie and toss in the fridge.
It is a small effort to stop using those little plastic bags, but it makes a big impact on the earth. I love these little things!

5 Comments:

At 10:09 AM, Blogger Me said...

Holy Cow Angie, these look super cool. I may have to make some myself, of course then I will have to forbid my husband from them since he will just lose them and then I will have to make more.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger cindi said...

Are you the one selling these locally? There was a segment on the King5 news this morning about these little bags...

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Angela said...

No, I am not! But that is so cool there was a segment on King5 AND there is someone locally selling these!!! Awesome!

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Lauren said...

Totally cute. I love the "save the trees" fabric choice, how appropo!

Incidentally, I did a little research, and found that BPA comes from polycarbonate (plastic #7) and phthalates come from PET (plastic #1) and dioxins are associated with PVC (plastic #3), but plastics #2, #4, and #5 are generally considered safe. If your tomatoes prove to be a little too juicy for your bags, you'd be safe with tupperware, which is usually #4 and #5. Or even better, reuse sour cream tubs, and keep something else out of the landfill!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Kenny and Angi said...

I use my sour cream containers for EVERYTHING! I did most of my seedlings in them this year, I use them for left-overs in bag lunches and all the dips I make for BBQs. Those are some handy dandy little buggers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home