A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It's not right!

Last night we lost our kitty, Hallebanos!
She was viciously attacked by our neighbors dogs.
Holly was so sweet and had never learned to be afraid of dogs. This kitty, with personality to spare, would actually flirt with dogs by rubbing against them and rolling on her back in front of them. We assume that she attempted to do just this last night, but she chose two very vicious dogs and at her tiny size, she didn't stand a chance.
It was a horrible sight and today I will be spending the day determined to file complaints against the dogs, who also neighbor a daycare, and take it as far as I can. Looking back, I wish I had filed a complaint earlier because we knew they were vicious dogs from the day we moved in...but we simply thought the fence between us and them would keep us out of harms way. We were very wrong in that assumption.
What's worse is this is the third year in a row that we had lost one of our much loved pets at this time of year. After last year we feared it might be a pattern, but thought we were in the clear this year since all our animals are young and healthy. Again we were very wrong on that assumption.
If anyone has any suggestions on who to contact with regard to reporting a vicious animal, any information would be very appreciated!!!!!

19 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry for you loss, and in such a horrific way.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Kim in Oregon said...

I'm heartsick for you and your family.
Contact the police, and the local pound.
While the sad truth is that the death of a cat won't have a huge effect, the proximity to small children should get some attention.
I'm so, so sorry.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

Oh Angela, I'm so terribly sorry for your loss.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Alyssa said...

That's heartbreaking. I am so so sorry for your loss. It's so devastating to lose a pet, but even worse when it is before their time. You may have an Animal Control in your county. If so, that's who you would want to contact.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Rhonda said...

Yes, that's not right! I'm so sorry for your loss. I would certainly look into Animal control and see what can be done.

{{{{Angi}}}}

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Alyssa said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. That's just awful. I wish I knew who you could report these dogs to.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger melcauble said...

I am so sorry for your loss. What a terrible tragedy. I know you will miss your kitty and I hope you get some resolution that will allow you to start moving ahead. My kitties and doggies are my children and I can't imagine how I would feel if I were in your shoes. I hope that you feel better soon.

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh no! My heart breaks for you. The only think I can think to do is to call the SPCA. Perhaps they can give you advice on the next steps.

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how much you loved your kitty! *hugs*

Charity

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is my first time commenting, but I am so sorry for your terrible loss. From my experience here in Florida, contact the police and animal control. Here, action is taken only after a number of reports of attacks, and attacks on animals count. Your report will start a file on these dogs if they don't have one already.

Again I am so sorry.

Michele

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger SeattleAmy said...

Angie,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard to keep functioning!

I can tell you who to connect with, what to expect, etc if you contact me directly.

I'm a rescue who has gotten involved with dogs who have actually killed a cat. So I'm very familiar with the processes and what to expect.

Amy

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

My heart breaks for you! I'm so sorry. Our puppy was attacked by an unleashed vicious dog (she's okay now though), but I think I was more traumatized. Big hugs for you.

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger Shorty said...

So sorry for your loss! I can only imagine the pain you are feeling.
I agree with the other comments. Try animal control in your area. If possible include pictures or video of the dogs behaving in a vicious manner to support your charges. It might help, and it certainly can't hurt.

Good luck!

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very sorry for your lose but you could have prevented this from happening...

People could end things like this from happening by keeping their pets inside. Make your cats inside cats!!! That will keep them safe.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Anonymous...I agree that keeping them inside is an option-though definitely not the kitties first choice. However, if the vicious dogs are the problem not the cats, is that fair? Should the daycare keep the kids inside too? At what point do the owners of the problem get held responsible?

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angi - I'm really sorry about your kitty. I'd be devastated, as I'm sure you are.

Did you speak to the neighbors with the dogs?

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Macoco said...

I am so sorry to hear this! Truly sad news.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger sharon said...

That is awful - it happened to my roommates cat too and it is just heart wrenching. I wish people didn't think that they have to have wild animals as pets.

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your kitty. We had a smart beautiful kitty name Myla killed by a dog the neighbors were baby sitting.

I hope the dog was dealt with severely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home