A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I invented an hors d'œuvre!

First I started by making my own chips (this picture doesn't show them off well). This idea started with loving salsa, but hating the loads of fat in the tortilla chips. So I take flour tortilla shells and cut them into wedges, dip them in lime juice and sprinkle generously with all kinds of mexican spices. Yummy! Bake at 350 until crispy! Voila, a perfect salsa dipping chip with a fraction of the fat.

Then I make a mismash of yummy mexican fixin's. Black beans, onions, rice, tomatoes, cilantro, ref. beans and whatever else I could find in the cupboard. I would have added jalepenos, but I didn't know if our guests would be hip on that :)

Then on the same pan that I cooked the chips on (which is still loaded with all those great seasonings) I slice a block of polenta into 1/8" pieces and cooked until slightly (slightly, slightly) golden on both sides. Then I loaded them each up with a bit of the mismash.

I cooked that for about 15 minutes...basically until they were warm throughout.

Then topped those with a bit of Pepper Jack Cheese to hold it all together. Popped them back in the oven to melt the cheese......THEN

I poked those chips right in top and served!

They go GREAT with Margaritas too!!!!

Here's to our first sunny day in NW Washington!!!! Yummy!

2 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Blogger Macoco said...

Holy ca mole I need to try this recipe. I be they were delicious.

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I'm savoring the aroma and longing to try them myself!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home