A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Let's talk UFOs

Every so often, that little voice pops into your head as reminds you, 'you really need to finish that project some day'. For me...this afgahn is that project. It keeps going and going and going....I do work on it too. A granny square here, a granny square there. If I am not mistaken, this afgahn is 6 years in the making!!!!
So what's the hold up? Well, for those of you who don't know the story behind it....Years ago (6 years ago) I saw the pattern for this afgahn and loved it. I didn't know how to crochet, so I taught myself with this project. Yes, I did an afgahn and MY FIRST PROJECT. I really don't know what I was thinking. Well...I continued along and bought more and more balls of yarn along the way. The one company stopped making one of the yarns, then a store I purchased several of the yarns at closed and the yarn was no where else to be found. Plain and simple, I was screwed. Then while I figured out what to do with a half finished afgahn that I can't find the yarn for, I tried another smaller crochet project. That's when I learned that I had done EVERY SINGLE STITCH WRONG on that afgahn.
**Sigh**
So, I hopped back on that horse, decided to take apart all the squares and fill it in with solid pink granny squares to get to the right size. I am still making solid pink squares to this day. AND I have to remember to do every stitch wrong, just like I did when I started making the afgahn so that everything matches!
This will definitely be a blanket that will be considered a keepsake!!!

Then we go to these socks (do you see a color similarity here? At least I am consistent)
I love these socks, I don't really know what happend. I just kinda lost steam. They are always in my knitting bag and they go everywhere with me, but I always seem to reach for a different project when reach in the bag. So close to done too!!!

Then there's my wrap. This big ole honker is one row from being done!!! I just have to wind the skein in to a ball and I am on my way. It is a little embarrassing that the winding of the ball is my main reason for procrastination!!! I am totally loving this thing though! It is going to be perfect to wrap around my shoulders to take the chill off!


And then there is this!!! I have wanted to knit this cardigan since the day I got the magazine-that was January 2005!!! I have the yarn in balls and ready to go! I think this is the coolest vintage modern looking cardigan EVER!!
I have no idea why this thing hasn't been started. Ever time I finish a project, I just don't seem to cast on for this cardigan. I think 2008 is the year though!!! It's been on my mind alot lately and I have been looking at the picture often. I think it's gonna happen!!!
Now, one thing I do tell myself when I start to feel guilt over my unfinished projects is that, every month I finish a project completely, not only finish it but create and design it for the Lucky Lurker yarn of the month. And on top of that I am doing my regular knitting that I can share with you here. That's when I tell myself I only have one set of hands and I still love all my UFOs so I am certain every last one of them will get done! The afgahn, I am confident, will be the last one finished!!! :) LOL :)

3 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Blogger Macoco said...

That afghan sounds like a true labor of love. One of my first projects was a tank top that I abandoned for one reason or another. I picked it up a few years later and realized that I had been twisting every single stitch. sigh. That one got frogged. ;)

Good luck with the afghan though, it does look beautiful.

 
At 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't do the stitches wrong -- you invented a new stitch!
Nice small lap-afghans are popular gifts. If you feel the need, crochet a simple lace edging (so you don't have to do it in your invented stitch) and call it done.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger sharon said...

I've always wanted to do that cardigan too. two of my favourite things in one sweater.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home