A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I've got WORMS!!!!

If anyone would have told me I would one day be excited about worms I would have told them they were NUTS!!!
My worms arrived today, so I got straight to work putting the new compost bin together.
I had already purchased the bin and drilled the holes in the top and bottom for air and had found a few branches for strategic placement to promote air flow.
Then I just has to wait for my worms to arrive from Planet Natural. I probably could have found a local garden store or something and will probably do that when I need more worms.
Once they were here, I wetted some newspaper and poured in a bucket of our garden soil, then I sprinkled them on top. What fun to watch!!! They started wriggling right into the dirt as soon as they landed. It was really cool to watch!!!
I have now added some bananna peels and bits and pieces of some of our veggie remants and they should be happy little worms for a while!!!
I can't wait to see the progress as they get to work on composting!!!

2 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger Nederlass said...

Oh yup, I think I see George and Leonard sneaking around there on the right. Have you counted them yet, to make sure you really got 500?

:P

Happy knitting and see you at Madrona!
MJ

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Mel said...

Hello Angie! For future reference, the Seattle Tilth sells worms by the pound... I had a worm bin for a while, and all I really needed was 1/2 lb?

http://www.seattletilth.org/about/sales

 

Post a Comment

<< Home