A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Thursday, January 03, 2008

PHEW!

Am I the only one that is just now letting out a sign of relief that the new year is here and we have made it through another holiday season?! Don't get me wrong...I love the holidays; the lights, the music, the smiles, the wrapping paper...I love it all. It just seems to rush up on me and then it's gone in a blink! This year, I did what no knitter should EVER do! I said yes to making a knitted gift for someone to give to someone else. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WAS THINKING! 4 doggie sweaters was the request, yes there are only 3...I didn't get them all done! This is because in addition to making these sweaters I made my Christmas gifts this year....and at the risk of spoiling the suprise for everyone who hasn't gotten theirs (which is more than half of the recipients) I am going to share a picture of the hand crafted goodies.I went allllll out! I made soap (the kind with lye and oils), I made body butter and fizzies, I made laundry detergent and surface scrub, I made lip balm and bath salts and it was a BLAST!!!! Most things were fragranced with Lavender and it turns out that I am HIGHLY allergic to Lavender. Yes, in the midst of all my crafty fun I was broken out-ankles to wrists-in a horrible rash!!! Needless to say, there won't be anymore Lavender in my home!!! So far, those that have tried all their new goodies love them...especially the detergent, which even Mr Ken remarked that it makes the clothes amazingly soft! :)

Then, without a moment's pause we began what was to be a quick weekend project of putting up new shelves in my 'yarn workshop'. This quick weekend project turned into this knitter learning the ins and outs of insulation and drywalling. Dang, that stuff is ICHY.


And even though there are still no shelves in the 'yarn workshop' I have to say that it is now fabulously warm out there and I am quite impressed at Mr Ken's new found electrical skills....hmmm, now it's time to decide what color to paint :)
I do hope everyone had a great holiday and has had a great start to the new year! Stay tuned for all the new yarns that are getting posted this weekend! I have been a busy bee and I am really excited about some of these new colorways....oh and yes, there is some Chocolate Crunch...just like what Yarn Harlot knit with! :)


5 Comments:

At 3:20 AM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Oh my, you poor thing. That rash sounds horrible. But your goodies look great!

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your soap and laundry goods look beautiful! The packaging reminds me of the Pure Essentials bottles! I just love it!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger emicat said...

Your holiday gifts look very nice! You're gonna have to show me how to make that laundry soap.

Oi, and I probably helped contribute to your laundry allergy by giving you a satchet of lavender too - sorry!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Macoco said...

I have to say that I'm relieved the holidays are over too - just exhausting!

I am amazed at your homemade gifts. The recipients of those gifts are some truly lucky people.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I hate the way lavendar sneaks up on you like that--I'm also allergic, but couldn't figure it out for the longest time. It smells so good, how can it be so itchy???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home