A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

On Thursday, February 12th 2009 I did something great. I joined in for the HSUS Lobby day to be a voice for animals and it was FANTASTIC!
The current bills up for vote that we were there to get support for included, the issue near and dear to my heart, ending puppymills, ending animal abuse by not allowing a charged animal cruelty felon to posses another similar animal, upholding trapping restrictions and finally helping fund spay and nueter programs for those who cannot afford it.
The whole thing sounds far more intimidating that it actually was!!!! The way you 'lobby' is by simply finding out who your Senate and Legislative reps are and go knock on their door. Seriously, you and I can knock on their door.....not only can we, but they want us to!!!!! They want to know what you-their constituents-think. You can do this by knocking on their door, sending them an e-mail or giving them a call. Seriously, YOU can make a difference by speaking your mind. WOW!!!!
So I walked my hiney to my representatives' doors and I let them know that I would like them to support the bill to end puppy mills in Washington!
Even though I donate to so many animal charities I can't even count, I now feel like I have actually done something proactive to help the critters. I also learned that sending an e-mail regularly about the issues that concern me can make a difference.
If you have a cause near and dear to your heart, I urge you to contact your representatives! It's pretty cool to help make a difference!

5 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger cindi said...

It only takes 1 person to make a difference.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Ms. Angie said...

What a great thing for you to be doing, and also, my god - what a cute coat!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Pretentious Wombat said...

I had a guinea pig rescue for several years and I know exactly where you are coming from. Bad breeders are bad breeders no matter what the animal. Do whatever you can to shut them down and stop the abuse!

 
At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please join us as part of the solution to unwanted liters and animal abuse. Caribbean Spay Neuter has fixed over 700 dogs this year and on track for 5,000 within the next 12 months. https://www.facebook.com/CaribbeanSpayNeuter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home