A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Monday, November 03, 2008

Going Green: How to Save $100 Without Really Trying

I'm so happy that last time I blogged about going green, I had such a positive response! I thought I'd share a list of some of the tiny changes that DH and I have made around the house. At first it was just an effort to reduce our impact on the environment, but we were very happy to see that just these little changes saved us about $100 on our utility bills!!

Easy tips for going green (and saving money):
  1. Only run full loads in the laundry and dishwasher
  2. Run the laundry and dish cycles after 7pm when water consumption is down and costs are lower
  3. Turn lights off when you aren't in the room, or try putting lights on a timer
  4. Turn off the computer and other big electronics before bed (power strips are a big help here)
  5. Keep heat at 60 degrees, especially when you're sleeping or away from home (a programmable thermostat is a big help here)

Can you believe just those little changes had such a big impact? What's been working well for you?

6 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Understanding how our programable thermostat works. Keeping all the settings (wake, leave, return) within 3 degrees of each other is the most energy & cost efficient for our model. Dropped our bill a couple hundred/month last winter.

Dani

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Angela said...

I like the 3 degree idea! So easy to do too!

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger emicat said...

We're still only using the electric fireplace when we're in the living room, but to be honest, we haven't even had to put on the heat at all since moving to our new place. I try to keep warm w/ lap blankets and sweaters and will keep doing so until it's too cold.

I've been trying to get my bf to turn off all the electronics before heading to bed, but he's still "in training" :)

Every little bit definitely helps!

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Angela said...

Wish we had a fireplace!!!! For now, I snuggle with the critters for extra warmth :)

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>I like the 3 degree idea! So easy to do too!

Check the manual of your heater to make sure this works. I think it works for ours because we have a heat pump in addition to the heater.

Other things are closing doors and only heating the rooms you're using (harder to do when the house has an open layout) and turning on the ceiling fans to pull the heat off the ceiling and down where you are.

Dani

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Closing doors!!! That's a good one. I will definitely start doing that one!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home