A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle-Sorbet!


Since that fateful day that I happend to catch the episode on the Discovery Channel that exposed the unspeakable damage that the garbage we thoughtlessly throw away (and ends up in landfills) does to our planet and then the chain reactions that come of it-we are now a very garbage
conscientious household. If it is degradable, we compost it. If it's recyclable, we recycle it. If it is reusable in any way, we reuse it!
Here you see only a small number of our sour cream containers (we eat an incredible amout of sour cream). These containers are so handy for left overs, side dishes to take to a party (and leave there with out worry of return), dips and on and on. Next spring I plan to use the gobbs and gobbs of them for seedling starts for our garden!!!
Our latest discovery is that Gatorade containers make the most travel friendly drink holders!!! I was gonna run out and by a bunch of reusable water bottles (at 3 bucks a bang) to reduce the number of water bottles we are recycling, then tried these guys and they work GREAT!!!
Both of these containers are perfect for the concoction you see above! A fruit smoothy and sorbet in the making! I blended it up, poured a bit into each sour cream container and popped those into the freezer for an ice cream (ok-sorbet) delight tonight, and the rest I am sipping on right now! Yummy!!!

Goes to show that being good to the enviroment is fun, creative and YUMMY!!!

6 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Blogger Serina said...

Share the recipe. It looks so good!

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post made me smile:) When I got to college, my roomates thought I was not normal for saving and reusing foil and ziploc bags! Although for me I think the habit has been passed down from grandparents who grew up in the great depression.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Angela said...

The recipe: A bit of soy milk (I prefer vanilla), some fresh fruit, some frozen fruit, one can of canned fruit with juice, and a bannana. Blend it up and drink it or freeze it! It really hits the spot on a hot hot day and you don't want to make anything to eat!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Serina said...

Thanks Angela!

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I reuse water bottles/gatorade bottles for keeping the rabbits cool on the hot days. I fill them 3/4 full of water and throw them in the freezer. The bunnies can lay on them or roll them around.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Angela said...

LOVE that idea!!!! Gonna go fill some bottles right now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home