A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006


Do you feed your dog greenies? Dogs love 'em, but it turns out they are actually killing dogs!!! This Video is a news report on it, but the nutshell is that Greenies are now the 3rd largest cause of throat obstructions for dogs next to bones and fish hooks. Sad thing is it gets stuck in there esophagus, so surgery is the only thing that can be done if you notice in time. I know Guppy loves these things, but he definitely isn't getting any more!!!!!! His life isn't worth the risk!!

5 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger Heather said...

That is so scary! My cats love them, but I'm going to start breaking them up for them.

 
At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dog loves those - and I just bought an economy size bag of them! I'll have to try breaking them up for her. Thanks for spreading the word!

 
At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it just because they're too hard to chew? I think I got a free bag of these for my cats with some order -- I guess I should stop feeding them to them!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Angela said...

From what I understand, if the dog (or cat) swallows before chewing into small bits, it won't desolve and gets lodged in their esophagus and blocks anything else from going in, which eventually kills them. So scary!!!!!! I know this is one of Guppy's absolute favorite treats and I hope these findings urge the Greenie company to make the product more digestable!!!!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Oiyi said...

Napoleon only gets a greenie once a while for a treat. He absolutely loves them, but I will think twice before giving him one now. He is small pup and my worst nightmare is having him choke on something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home