A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tips for Going Green: Homemade Laundry Detergent

Some of you already know about my efforts to “go green” – not only is it good for the environment, but it’s way easier and more fun than I initially expected!

This homemade laundry detergent is just another great example of that. It’s easier on the environment, drastically cheaper than commercial detergents and it leaves clothes noticeably softer! And (my favorite part) you can even customize your fragrance or choose to go completely fragrance free!

I used this recipe to make detergent for everyone on my Christmas list last year. I had some funny looks at first, but then after each person did their first load with it, I started getting calls from them for the recipe so they could make more! It’s proof that green products not only work, but sometimes do the job even better!

Materials

  • Large pot that holds at least 2 gallons of water
  • 1/3 bar of Fels Naptha laundry soap
  • 1/2 cup of sodium carbonate (aka washing soda)
  • 1/2 - 1 cup borax
  • Optional: Fragrance
  • Container to store detergent in
Instructions:

  1. In a stock pot that can hold 2 gallon water, add 1 inch of water and heat to medium/high heat
  2. Add 1/3 bar of grated Fels Naptha laundry bar soap and melt completely
  3. Add 1/2 cup washing soda/sodium carbonate (this is not the same as baking soda)
  4. Add 1/2-1 cup borax
  5. Melt until dissolved
  6. Optional: Add fragrance if desired
  7. Stir in 2 gallons water
  8. Remove from heat and let mixture sit 24 hours
  9. Stir and transfer to storage container

What changes have you made at home in an effort to “go green”? I’d love to hear what’s worked (and what hasn’t) for you!

3 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Blogger Angela said...

The conversation is hopping over on the Ravelry Lucky Lurker Group if you would like to chime in!!!!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger SeattleAmy said...

Guess what I'm making today? I'm waiting for the soap/soda/borax to meld with the 1 G of water I just added before I add fragrance & the rest of the water!!!

Added bonus: It made me clean up/out the kitchen...and now I'm working on the REST of the house!

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do you find all that STUFF?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home