A Girl's Gotta Knit

A blog about opening A Swell Yarn Shop, knitting and the rest of the stuff that makes life fun :)

Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Chickens

It's almost spring once again and since I discovered my new addiction last year, I have been eagerly awaiting February. That's because February means CHICKEN time :) That's right! Chickens!Right now the feed stores are getting all their day old chicks in. People have their brooders all set up, heat lamp ready, for all those little peeps. Well, this year, instead of going to the feed store and fighting the crowd on a give breeds day, I opted to order my chicks by mail. That's right, BY MAIL. You can get chicks sent right to your local post office for pick up!!! Mind you, I still stocked the feed store websites to see when my preferred breeds were coming in, but when I noticed they were weeks apart I decided to give mail order a try.

My little peeps are scheduled to arrive next week!!! I have Australorps (the black one), Red Star (orange one) and White Leghorns (white one) coming! A couple weeks later I will be getting a couple silkies just for the novelty of them...they are cute little puff balls!

What this means for everyone who has already enjoyed my happy chicken eggs is there will be even more available come this fall. So no one will be left out any more.
I gotta say, never in a million years would I have imagined how much I would love raising chickens...but it might possibly be my number one favorite hobby. It combines my love of critters and my love of colors (plumage & egg) and puts them together like sewing and knitting have never done before.
Stay tuned for adorable chick photos coming soon! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home